Many of our Y6 pupils have volunteered to become playleaders, undertaking training to support them to promote purposeful play in KS1; leading games and activities which develop positive playtime relationships and experiences.
As well as supporting our younger pupils it helps to foster a good understanding of different behaviours and the leadership, problem solving skills needed to tackle and resolve problems.
Play Leaders are a group caring children who have been trained to organise activities for other children on the playground. They encourage children to join in games and to extend their friendships. The leadership skills that they have been taught will also help to raise self-esteem, self -confidence and encourage physical activity.
A Play Leader should aim to have the following qualities:
- To be a great role model
- Be Kind
- Be able to help other children
- Abide by rules
- Respect equipment
- Be honest, reliable and trustworthy
- To be a good team member
Aims of Play Leaders:
- To improve behaviour on the playground
- To provide a safe area for children to practise their social skills
- To develop friendships between pupils
- To encourage problem solving
- To teach pupils appropriate skills and games
- To be a good role model for their peers
Moving into the spring term our Y5 pupils will have the opportunity to also take over the role of playleaders for the rest of this year, supported and mentored by our existing Y6.