St Just is a ‘good’ school, March 2018
Ofsted’s report highlights:
· There is strong leadership and drive and determination to ensure that children leave the school well equipped for their next steps in learning.
· Staff morale is high, as demonstrated in the responses given to the staff questionnaire, where every respondent strongly agreed that they were proud to be a member of the school.
· Effective leadership, at all levels, has ensured that systems to improve the quality of teaching, behaviour and support for pupils have led to improving outcomes.
· Governors have a deep understanding of the school and they describe themselves as, ‘inquisitive, appreciative and supportive guardians’ of the school.
· Writing outcomes have improved significantly, with Year 6 pupils in 2016 and 2017 achieving progress scores that placed the school in the top 10% of schools nationally.
· There was clear evidence to show that teachers across the school are planning activities that challenge pupils at all levels.
· Leaders ensure that all safeguarding arrangements are fit for purpose and that effective action is taken to safeguard pupils.
Next steps for the school:
Leaders and those responsible for governance should ensure that:
· the percentages of key stage 1 pupils reaching the expected level and greater depth in mathematics are in line with or above national averages
· the attendance of pupils continues to improve.